Well, tumblrinas, I have a dilemma. And I figure so many of you post “oh, oh, oh, you can ask me advice about anything” and I need an unbiased opinion. So, here goes.
I honestly don’t see myself continuing this summer at the job I am in. My boss is a family friend, but has been taking advantage by underpaying me. Moreover, she’s homophobic, racist, senile, and just honestly impossible to deal with. Even though I explained that I can’t go out in the sun for the rest of the summer because I had the thing removed from my face, she is insisting that I sit outside for half an hour every day once it heals, which she figures will be a week. A half an hour in the sun every day. Because “it doesn’t look that bad”.
There’s a potential that I could have another, much higher-paying, much more relevant to my interests job. However, I have known this woman since I was a small child and she has been guilt-tripping me about how much she needs me. But, I really, honestly do not see myself working there the whole summer and staying sane. She changes my hours (in very drastic ways) without a moment’s notice at the last minute and with no regard for any other plans I may have, her personality is infectiously negative, and she does really tricky things with my pay to avoid some taxes but also to avoid actually paying me what I deserve. But, once again, she’s been in my life for a very long time, she needs me, she’s a family friend, I know she cares about me.
So, what do I do? Do I see if I can take this new job and leave? Do I just leave immediately and then find work? Or do I stick it out for the summer?
- honeybunnypie likes this
- ginkitten said: You gotta go, Ivy. Hope you can make this other job opportunity work for you, it sounds wonderful.
- musingsandmischief said: If she does actually care for you she’ll want you to do the best for yourself. If the better offer is a definite then go for it! Guilt tripping is the worst, it makes me so angry!
- meistergibmirrosen said: As said before, make sure that this new job is what you want, that you will get it, that you will get payed, etc. Then tell your boss that you can’t physically and mentally take what she wants. And that you won’t. She can rethink or let you go.
- aelethiel said: Talk to her about it. Tell her u don’t like that unfair treatment. If she won’t change your job conditions for the better u should leave and take the other job. Benn there once. I’ll never work for a family member/friend again.
- 390nm said: Sever.
- mysocalledmind said: There is no dilemma here. You do what you need to do for YOU. Just make sure you have the new job first.
- pull-my-strings said: put in your two weeks and take the other job. otherwise you are locking yourself into a pattern of being used and abused, which you do not deserve.
- thisexactmoment said: Hi, I’m a parrot. :) Seriously, get out of there. Whether it’s tomorrow or next month or whatever is up to you, but don’t just hang on out of a misplaced sense of loyalty. You deserve better than what you’re getting.
- destineesscrapbook said: I’m sorry to be brusque, but family friend or not, you’re not being treated fairly, especially not if you’re being guilt-tripped into it. I would suggest you try for this new job and not stick the summer thru for this one…
- truthandbone said: oooh get out of that. you deserve much better
- norapinephrine said: Give 2 weeks notice, you’ve been kind enough by staying on so long and it’s time you do something for you.
- hornybunnies said: “she cares about me” Does she? Seems to me if she cared about you she wouldn’t be pulling all those tricks on you… In the end you gotta do what’s best for you, anyway. It’s not like she can’t find someone to replace you! My 2 cents :) ~Mrs Bunny
- ch-urchmouth said: 2 weeks notice is all she needs. go ANYWHERE else
- ch-urchmouth likes this
- thinkivykink posted this